Fab recently joined Apollo Care to head up major improvements to the meal service and environment in all three PresCare aged care communities. Fab started his career as a chef in his native Mauritius where he worked in five-star hotels.
He moved from this island paradise to Australia in 2008 with his wife, Emily, to work as a chef in top metro and regional hotels before transitioning to aged care. A Fraser Coast local for the last three years, Fab is using his amazing head chef skills to both nourish and delight all residents.
What do you love most about your role?
It’s so important to me that residents enjoy their meals so I make it part of my day to visit the dining rooms to ask for feedback and see if there’s anything I can do to make them happier. I just love seeing the smiles on their faces when they enjoy my food – it means the world to me. But as I have only been here a short while, it’s only the beginning! I have lots of exciting plans to continue improving meal service nationally and make our communities even cleaner and healthier.
What do you think makes our communities so special?
The communication and relationship between the staff and residents is very special. The Lifestyle Teams do a fantastic job of bringing residents together and there are so many fun ways for us all to bond. I even sing songs with the residents from time to time! Every resident is so well looked after and our communities are places of fun, friendship and respect.
Why do you think our communities feel like home?
For the residents to feel at home in our communities, PresCare staff must feel like family. We make sure they can rely on us to do everything possible to make each day comfortable, enjoyable and happy.
Favourite pastime: Walking my two beautiful dogs on the lovely Fraser Coast beaches.
Favourite food: A perfectly cooked medium-rare steak with Dianne sauce. Yum!
Reading or tv: I love reading recipe books and watching documentaries. I also love going to the cinema with my wife.
Special talent: I play guitar and oboe, and I’m also a pretty good singer.
Favourite way to relax: Watering the garden is such a simple pleasure that never fails to relax me.
If you could travel anywhere: Back home to Mauritius.
Favourite childhood memory: Camping in the woods as a teenager in Scouts.
Here’s one of Chef Fab’s favourite recipes that he loves to cook at home:
Saffron Risotto with Herb-Marinated Grilled Chicken
Fab’s tip: The key to a perfect risotto, is to gradually add the stock to the rice.
- 400g risotto rice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Thyme sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 glasses of dry white wine
- 1.2 litres chicken stock, boiling
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 spoons softened butter
- 2 cups cooking cream
- Grated and shaved parmesan cheese
Herb-Marinated Grilled Chicken:
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 4 pieces lengthwise
- 1 tbsp mixed dry herbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and cracked pepper
- Combine the herb marinade ingredients in a bowl, add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and reserve in the fridge.
- Heat a pan, add the oil and sauté the diced onion, garlic and thyme sprig until the onion has softened, but not coloured. Add the rice and stir for approximately 1 minute until it becomes slightly translucent. Deglaze with the wine and cook until it has evaporated. (This will smell delish!) Add the bay leaves and salt, then add one cup of chicken stock and simmer while stirring. Once the liquid has evaporated, gradually add another cup of stock and keep repeating until all the stock has been used. Allow each cup of stock to evaporate before adding the next and keep stirring! The rice will be al dente and glutinous. Set aside.
- Grill or pan fry the chicken.
- Heat another pan, add the butter and the turmeric. Add the cream and simmer. Add the cooked risotto rice and stir to combine. Cook on medium to low heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add grated parmesan and season to taste.
- Serve the rice topped with the succulent grilled chicken, shaved parmesan and enjoy with a nice glass of chilled Moscato.